Are you getting ready to explore northern Wisconsin’s outstanding snowmobile trails? We want to make sure your visit to Oneida County and Vilas County is fun, memorable, and safe, so we have compiled some information about following the rules of the trails, proper riding etiquette, and more.
Wisconsin Snowmobiling Laws & Safety Tips
- Any rider born after January 1, 1985, is required to complete a snowmobile safety course and carry a safety certificate
- Children under the age of 12 may not operate a snowmobile unless accompanied by a parent or guardian
- Wear a helmet and appropriate clothing
- Maintain a safe speed and follow all regulatory trail signs
- STAY ON THE TRAILS – Going off marked trails is trespassing
- Look for the brown Trail Information Numbering signs at intersections–this information can be helpful if there’s an emergency
- Use caution when crossing marked lake trails
- Never ride alone
- Know the snowmobile you are riding
- Alcohol and snowmobiling don’t mix
- Always ride right–stay on the right side of the trail and do not pass trail groomers
See a full list of Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources snowmobile rules & regulations here.
The Vilas County Snowmobile Club Alliance encourages you to Ride Right!
Ride Right with the Snowmobiling Safety Pledge
- ✔ I will stay on the marked trails
- ✔ I will never drink and ride a snowmobile
- ✔ I will drive within the limits of my machine and my own abilities
- ✔ I will obey the rules and laws of the state I am visiting
- ✔ I will be careful when crossing roads and always cross at a right angle to traffic
- ✔ I will keep my machine in top shape and follow a pre-op check before each ride
- ✔ I will wear appropriate clothing, including gloves, boots, and a helmet with a visor
- ✔ I will let family or friends know my planned route, my destination, and my expected arrival time
- ✔ I will treat the outdoors with respect–I will not litter or damage trees or other vegetation
- ✔ I will respect other peoples’ property and rights and lend a hand when I see someone in need
- ✔ I will not snowmobile where prohibited
For more information on snowmobiling in Wisconsin and the Northwoods, visit the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, the Association of Wisconsin Snowmobile Clubs, or the snowmobile clubs listed on this site.
Ride right, ride safe in the Northwoods–head to local chambers of commerce and visitors bureaus in Oneida County and Vilas County to pick up some great Snowmobile Northwoods swag, including reflective decals and safety checklists. You can also find snowmobile trail maps and other helpful info at these offices.
- Boulder Junction Chamber of Commerce
- Conover Chamber of Commerce
- Eagle River Area Chamber of Commerce
- Land O’ Lakes Chamber of Commerce
- Let’s Minocqua Visitors Bureau
- Manitowish Waters Visitors Bureau
- Phelps Chamber of Commerce
- Presque Isle Chamber of Commerce
- Rhinelander Area Chamber of Commerce
- St. Germain Area Chamber of Commerce
- Three Lakes Area Visitors Bureau
- Tomahawk Regional Chamber of Commerce